Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Christmas "Poem"

Several years back, I got it into my head that I would become the Charles Dickens of Christmas poems.  It turns out, Dickens was a wicked good writer.  I'm a hack.  Enjoy, anyway:

Christmas

Rudolph with your nose so bright
and Elvis way up in the sky
Be beacons to us on this most holy night
lift our spirts and keep them high

keep in our minds the reason
that we are able to be so merry
let joy and peace reign this Christmas season
Oh Santa! I pray that you hear me

and for the little ones who wait
their beliefs not yet sullied
lying awake in a frenzied state
listening and listening ever so patiently

These starry-eyed children
who still can't sleep
huddled under blankets
listening for a peep

or a scrape
the dragging of a hoof
surely that was Santa
up on the roof

loaded down with presents
what toys might he bring?
for all the girls and boys
Oh! how they'll sing

Christmas morn', finally here
anticipation so thick, it fills the air
parents sit watching through worn out smiles
while ribbons and bows fly everywhere

perhaps family is the true reason
for each and every holiday season