Saturday, August 2, 2014

Defending Pearl Jam Against an Uneducated Attack

Today's argument is an attempt to refute this article (please don't read the article.  I'll hit the highlights for you, I promise.) by an author who is so beneath contempt I won't even list his name.  The rally cry of his article is this:  Pearl Jam is the most boring band of the last 20 years.

For those who have never had the pleasure of listening to Pearl Jam, you simply cannot understand what a ridiculous statement this is.  Even if you haven't been living under a rock for the last 20 years, and it's just never tickled your fancy to make your way to a Pearl Jam show (or the exponential rise in ticket price has kept you away), you still could not fathom what a tremendous band they are.

I've seen Pearl Jam 6 times live in my life, and I've never once regretted it.  Not even the time I drove to Montreal to scalp a ticket, and spent most of the show getting bear hugged by an overly enthusiastic (and less than sober) fan.  Who also was twice as big as I was.  I like Pearl Jam so much that I even overlook their political views, which clash with my own, to say the least.  They create and perform brilliant music, and that is what I look to them for.


When the moron who wrote the article linked to above (although not that I consider it, he's actually somewhat of a mad genius.  He tapped into a rabid fan base who has spent many collective hours reading his worthless article, increasing his view count, and making it appear as if he has much broader influence than he actually does.) penned his thoughts, he could only have been thinking two separate thoughts:  1.)  I want to show the world exactly how stupid I am or 2.)  I'm going to be famous (infamous is the word he was actually looking for) when all of those die-hard Pearl Jam fans find out what I wrote.

I believe he succeeded on both fronts, if the comments section of the article is any indication. 
The author of the article closes out his introductory paragraph with this "brilliant" zinger:

it seems that mediocre rock bands, like ugly buildings, become respectable if they stick around long enough.
To the best of my knowledge, in one form or another, I've listened to every song that Pearl Jam has released or performed at some in time or another.  I'll grant there may be some obscure live covers that I haven't had the opportunity to hear yet, but I've heard their catalog in its entirety either via a studio release, seeing the songs performed live, or listening to recorded versions of their live performances.  That band, in a word, rocks, and age hasn't taken anything off of their fastball.

Sure, Eddie Vedder may not throw himself willy-nilly into the hands of his adoring fans, nor he necessarily climb to the rafters each time the band plays "Porch", but those aren't necessary.  What is necessary is the music, and few have excelled for as long a period of time, as consistently, as Pearl Jam has.

For many musical 'fans', including the author of the anti-PJ diatribe we're discussing today, Pearl Jam ceased making music following the release of Vitalogy.  What it is about this album that engendered so many people to dislike not only the album, but the band, but it is what occurred.  Of the 14 tracks on the album, I can think of only 4 that might be slightly off-putting for those who "loved" Ten and Vs. and they are:  'Pry, To' (and it only last one minute and three seconds), 'Bugs' (a hilarious accordion-based tune), 'Aye Davanita' (a quirky jam with no real lyrics to speak of), and 'Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me' (a song, which I have no shame in admitting, frightens the heck out of me.  I stopped listening to it whenever I listen to Vitalogy after about the 3rd time I listened to the disc all the way through.  I'm not smart enough to figure out what's going on in this song, nor do I care.)  The other 10 tracks on the album are awesome, as long as you like music, and in particular rock music.

Since Vitalogy, Pearl Jam has released 7 studio albums (plus a "B" sides album, along with a greatest hits compilation) and countless hundreds of live 'bootleg' albums.  Each and every one of them is as brilliant as the next, and unlike  the author of the article, I've listened to them.  They're not boring, they rock.  As to the charges that Pearl Jam stole their act from bigger, better bands:  It's ludicrous.  History shows that tens of bands followed in Pearl Jam's footsteps, to the point of mimicking lead singer Eddie Vedder's vocalizations whilst singing.  Pearl Jam, nor any serious music fan would not say that the band has not been influenced by bands that came before them, but such is the cycle of music.  What they've done is make the influences their own, and they have always, always made sure to pay homage to their musical forebears, which is all that anyone can ask.

Whether or not someone likes Pearl Jam is irrelevant, but for someone to claim they are 'boring' is offensive to me, first as a fan of the band, but further, as a fan of good music.

For further proof of the band's brilliance, check out their Unplugged performance:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdr6eF2kVow